ADSM-L

Re: Disaster Recovery Input.

2002-06-13 13:30:17
Subject: Re: Disaster Recovery Input.
From: Tony Sinclair <tsinclai AT REGENCE DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 10:17:54 -0700
I need everyone's help on the list and to put on their brainstorming caps
on to put forth some ideas on how I can dramatize to upper level management
the best Disaster Recovery structure to meet our business needs to keep us
or any company in business.

I have been given the task of meeting with our companies upper level
management/directors to describe our needs/requirements/wish list based on
our companies existing Mainframe/Distributed disaster recovery
capabilities.

So I was trying to think of something dramatic that the 35 attendees could
do while they are setting down at this meeting that could demonstrate the
difficulties that we currently all face 365 days, 7/24 put forth as
requirements by these people in all companies.

I will be making this presentation at an offsite location at a local hotel,
so whatever I come up with needs to be non destructive, but demonstrate
what it really takes to be able to recover in a disaster.  I have come up
with several ideas so far, one of which was to place several large boxes of
appropriate tinker toys or legos on the table split the group up into teams
and make the request of them to build the tallest self standing building
with in 15 minuets.  Or have 10-15 candles lit on the table with a large
lit candle sitting of to the side, then blow out 4-6 candles and have them
re-light them without using matches or lighters.

I know we all face the decisions of upper level management every day on how
our systems are created, backed up and recovered, and that alot of times we
don't get the opportunity to express our own creative thoughts to these
individual's on how the best way to handle the situations we are all faced
with on a daily bases.

So if you have any suggestion or ideas I could use to make this subject
personal to them I would be eternally grateful for any ideas.  I figured
that the ones to ask where the ones who have to do the recovery daily,
those of us who work in the trenches and have the responsibility of keeping
the business of the world able to do business.

Thanks again for those who will be making suggestions.

Tony Sinclair
Lead Disaster Recovery Analyst - Sr. Storage Administrator