ADSM-L

Re: Dynamic allocation of FC Ultrium drives ... Is it possible ?

2002-06-05 08:31:23
Subject: Re: Dynamic allocation of FC Ultrium drives ... Is it possible ?
From: Paul Zarnowski <vkm AT CORNELLC.CIT.CORNELL DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2002 08:30:02 -0400
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU]On Behalf Of
PAC Brion Arnaud
> I would like to know if it is possible to share directly attached
> FC Ultrium drives in a 3584 library, between multiple TSM
> servers, without using the 3584 library sharing feature. This
> would mean a dynamic drive allocation, same style as DDS feature
> in Legato's Networker.

Mark Stapleton responded:
Yes. The TSM server that is attached to the library can be a managing
server, while the remote TSM server can be managed. It's not exactly true
library sharing; it's more like the managing server honoring a request from
the managed server to run data to tape.

I have tested a similar configuration, but using an ADIC Scalar 10k instead
of a 3584.  I found that using 3 TSM servers works better than 2.  Make the
library manager just manage the drives, and do nothing else.  The reason I
did this was the way mount limits work on the managing server.  A drive
allocated by the library manager to a library client can (at times anyway),
show up as allocated on both the library manager and the library client
servers - it's not actually in use on both servers at once, but it counts
against the mount limits on both servers.  I found it simpler to just set
up a separate server as the library manager.