ADSM-L

Re: BEST WAY to MIGRATE TO NEW DEVICE CLASS

2002-06-03 10:42:19
Subject: Re: BEST WAY to MIGRATE TO NEW DEVICE CLASS
From: asr AT UFL DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2002 10:40:31 -0400
=> On Mon, 3 Jun 2002 08:21:26 -0400, "MC Matt Cooper (2838)" <Matt.Cooper AT
AMGREETINGS DOT COM> said:

> I am in a situation where I want to migrate a COPYPOOL to a different DEVICE
> CLASS.  (I would settle for a change to the high level qualifier on the tape
> but that can not be done.)  I asked TSM and they said that I have to define
> a new COPYPOOL, associate it with the new DEVICE CLASS and do BACKUP primary
> pool to COPYPOOL until it has all been copied.  I have 10 TB of data in the
> COPYPOOL and I am running on z/OS.  Which means I am usually busy during 1st
> and half of 2nd shift.  Either way it would take a week of dedicated tape to
> tape activity (3 processes at 20GB/hr each) to do.

Well, if you have really reached the conclusion that you need a new devclass,
you have really limited your options.

Look at it this way: A new devclass is like a new library.  If you need to
move all your data from library A to library B, you're going to do a lot of
copying.

major reorganizations of data storage like this just take a long time; that's
all there is to it.

If what you're doing is (for example) just changing all your 3590Bs to Es,
then you might get away with deleting all the DRIVEs from your old library,
and then re-adding them with the new specifications.  In this case, you're not
generating a new devclass at all.  This is a pretty standard step in the
upgrade from a B to an E infrastructure.

If you do this, remember to set all your B volumes to read-only.

Allen S. Rout