ADSM-L

Re: allocating disk volumes on RAID5 array

2002-05-29 08:05:22
Subject: Re: allocating disk volumes on RAID5 array
From: Salak Juraj <j.salak AT ASAMER DOT AT>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 14:06:00 +0200
Zlatko,

> Write rate for RAID 5 is (note) again
> N times faster than single disk speed but decreases with penalty for
> recalculation if parity (highly controller dependent)

Often this calculation is not correct,
since raid-5 will be written in blocks which are typically
larger than the size of an i/o request,
which forces a read request ahead of write operation
in order to preserve remaining data.

For example on an raid-5 array consisting from 3 disks
a single write requset (from the OS perspective of view)
consists from
        1) read block from 2 disks, a half from the block from each disk
        2) update block´s data with those from i/o request and recalculate
parity of the block
        3) write block to 2 disks (half of to each disk) and write parity to
1 disks
        SUM = 5 I/O requests in two serialized groups:
                2 Inputs in paralel plus 3 Outputs in paralel
This results in typical raid-5 drives beeing slow when writing.

Those interested may have look at some comparisions
at http://www.icp-vortex.com/index_e.html -> performance,
all controllers tested were much slower when writing Raid5.
Raid beginners will find nice picture explanation under
same address -> support -> raid level description.

regards
Juraj