ADSM-L

Estimated Capacity

2002-05-27 07:56:10
Subject: Estimated Capacity
From: Wolfgang Herkenrath <w.herkenrath AT LVR DOT DE>
Date: Mon, 27 May 2002 13:53:11 +0100
Hi *SM'ers,

I have one Question about the estimated capacity for deviceclass definition.

TSM V4 R1 on OS390 2.8  with 3494 tapelibrary and 3590 Magstar Cartridge.

As far as I know the normal capacity of one 3590 Magstar cratridge is 10 GB.
With compaction the capacity is 30 GB.
The compaction for the dataclas wich manages my magstar tapes is activated.

At my device-class wich belong to this cartridges I have the estimated capacity
set to 9 GB.

So, if I think about these setting I belief that I don't use the full capacity
of my tapes.

Before I set the estimated capacity to 27 GB: Are there any expiriences about
the real compaction of data on tape? To wich value I can set the estimated
cpacity without runnign into trouble?

TIA
Wolfgang