ADSM-L

Re: Backing up the TSM server itself

2002-05-24 16:04:37
Subject: Re: Backing up the TSM server itself
From: Steve Roder <spr AT REXX.ACSU.BUFFALO DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 16:02:52 -0400
On Fri, 24 May 2002, Kauffman, Tom wrote:
> If you're trying to have something for use in a recovery environment, I'd be
> inclined to us tar instead.
>
> Think about it -- your TSM server is not available, how do you restore the
> TSM server files?

I have two servers.  Each server backs up itself, and to the other server.

> (Yes, backup sets will work -- If you created them beforehand AND the system
> has compatible tape drives).
>
> We have gone a different route. I've installed the TSM server code on both
> our production S7As; it runs on one and just exists on the other (which runs
> SAP). In our D/R process, we bring TSM and SAP both up on the same system.
> The TSM code is recovered with MKSYSB when we restore the system, and then
> we copy in the current device config and volume history files.
>
> Tom Kauffman
> NIBCO, Inc

Steve Roder, University at Buffalo
HOD Service Coordinator
VM Systems Programmer
UNIX Systems Administrator (Solaris and AIX)
TSM/ADSM Administrator
(spr AT buffalo DOT edu | (716)645-3564 | http://ubvm.cc.buffalo.edu/~tkssteve)