ADSM-L

Calculating network transfer rates using accounting log data

2002-05-23 16:37:23
Subject: Calculating network transfer rates using accounting log data
From: Steve Schaub <Steve.Schaub AT HAWORTH DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 16:34:50 -0400
I have a script that reports on backup sessions using the accounting log, and I
thought I was calculating the network transfer rate correctly, but I see that
the results returned from the client are reporting very different numbers.  The
formula I am using to figure out the speed at which data is actually being
transfered when transmission is happening is:

xmit_kbytes / (session_seconds - mediaw_seconds - commw_seconds - idlew_seconds)

xmit_kbytes(field20) = 44016
session_seconds(field21) = 125
idlew_seconds(field22) = 0
commw_seconds(field23) = 112
mediaw_seconds(field24) = 0

my report thus shows network transfer at 3,386mb/s
but the client results say 393kb/s

I guess even after reading the manual and various postings, I still don't
understand what commw means, exactly.  Can someone clear this up for me?

Steve Schaub
Systems Engineer
Haworth, Inc
Steve.Schaub AT Haworth DOT com

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large