ADSM-L

Re: Backing up Active Directory on Win2000

2002-05-23 12:16:30
Subject: Re: Backing up Active Directory on Win2000
From: Julie Phinney <jphinney AT HUMANA DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 11:14:48 -0500
Hi Jim,
I asked our Win2K guy to do the Q SYSTEMOBJECT at the b/a client command
line, and it responded this way:

tsm> q systemobject
   ANS1138E The 'QUERY' command must be followed by a subcommand

We are running the 4.1.1 client on that machine.
By default, it only appears to backup these system objects:
Event Log
Registry
RSM
He was able to manually backup these system objects, though:
Active Directory
COM+DB
System Files
System Volume
I could have him do the SHOW command, but I was wondering what we were
doing wrong with the Q systemobject...
Thanks,
Julie

----- Forwarded by Julie Phinney/Green Bay/Humana on 05/17/2002 05:06 PM
-----
-----
                      Jim Smith
                      Jim Smith
                      <smithjp AT US DOT IBM.         To:      ADSM-L AT
VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                      COM>                     cc:
                      Sent by: "ADSM:          Subject: Re: Backing up Active
Directory on Win2000
                      Dist Stor
                      Manager"
                      <[email protected]
                      T.EDU>

                      05/17/2002 05:02
                      PM
                      Please respond
                      to "ADSM: Dist
                      Stor Manager"

Julie,

To add to Tim's comments.   The TSM B/A client processes all system
objects which are active on the machine; there are now a total of eleven
of these system objects (added the WMI db support in TSM 5.1.0) of which
only a subset will be valid on a given machine.  This subset depends both
on the flavor of Windows 2000 installed (e.g., Pro vs. Server vs. Adv.
Server ...) and which Windows components are installed (e.g., Active
Directory is available with the W2k server edition but only active if it
is installed).  You can expand the System Object container in the Windows
B/A GUI to see which system objects are active.  Also, you can issue the
command SHOW SYSTEMOBJECT (not documented) and see which objects are
active:

stat    rc      system object
OK      0000    COM+ Database
OK      0000    COM+ Database
n/a     4312    Certificate Server Database
OK      0000    Event Log
OK      0000    WMI Database