ADSM-L

Restore DB and LOADDB with IBM3494

2002-05-20 07:29:04
Subject: Restore DB and LOADDB with IBM3494
From: Robin Lowe <robin_lowe AT STANDARDLIFE DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 12:26:55 +0100
Hi TSMers.

I became a victim of the RESTORE DB problem from an IBM3494 library with AIX
TSM 4.2.1.9.
It came as a surprise because with TSM 3.7.2 we had to do numerous DB
restores for real with the Activity Log full to the brim type problem.

I guess I should pay more attention to the postings on TSM type issues that
affect us, but I found being able to search for this problem at 05:00 on a
Sunday morning really useful!

Now for the real issue though.
How on earth did the TSM 4.2 code get released with such a bug in it
(IC32149 refers) ?

Secondly, I cannot understand the logic behind the restriction on LOADDB
whereby you can only use a manual library on AIX for this function.
Can anyone explain why there is such a restriction ?

We are used to fully automated kit, with no operator intervention here.
We had no problem with the LOADB on our OS390 TSM 4.1.4 system, so you can
see my curiosity as to why the AIX version of LOADDB is so restrictive.

Robin Lowe
Senior Storage Analyst