ADSM-L

Remote Sequential DeviceClass

2002-05-18 19:31:10
Subject: Remote Sequential DeviceClass
From: John Freeman <rs6000 AT BTINTERNET DOT COM>
Date: Sun, 19 May 2002 00:30:37 +0100
Hi TSM'ers

My client wants his offsite backups not to go to tape but rather to his remote
site across the WAN.

The solution we decided on was to create a Sequential File Device Class on a
Windows 2000 share and use this as a copy storage pool.

Whenever I try and create it using the browser, I enter the directory name as
\\10.0.0.7\tsmdata and it fails with the following error:

ANR8366E DEFINE DEVCLASS: Invalid value for DIRECTORY parameter.

I initially thought that is was 2000 that was responsible for this, so I tried
it on another Win2K box with the same authorities/shares etc and it worked.

I have even made the TSM server part of the Administrators Group on the remote
Win2K box but still no joy.

Any ideas

Ta
John