ADSM-L

Archive failures due to disk storage pool filling up...

2002-05-16 13:14:09
Subject: Archive failures due to disk storage pool filling up...
From: Zoltan Forray/AC/VCU <zforray AT VCU DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 13:20:03 -0400
Environment:  TSM OS/390 server - V4.1.4      Linux Client - V4.1.4

Been trying to archive a client node. The archive disk pool is not as
large as the amount of data to be archived.

Received a "failure" on the archive. This is one of the messages:

05/16/2002 10:43:20 ANS1228E Sending of object
'/usr/local/blackboard/docs/courses/1/INFO-360-002-2002Spring/content/_65742_1/360web_ontime2.zip'
failed

I looked into the server log and found the related message:

05/16/2002 10:43:01   ANR0534W Transaction failed for session 62 for node
ATHENA.VCU.EDU (Linux86) - size estimate exceeded and server is unable to
obtain additional space in storage pool SPARCHIVE.
Yes, I looked up the ANR0534W message. It talks about both a possible
COMPRESSION issue as well as insufficient space in the storage pool.

Yep, the compression for this session was "-5%".

So......Big deal.....I would not think this would/should cause a permanent
failure and lack of archiving of the file in question.

Yes, I realize the storagepool filled up.  My understand has always been,
and please correct me if I am wrong, that is a storagepool fills
up/reaches the HI value, 2 things occur:

1.  Migration is kicked off, moving data to the defined NEXTPOOL (which is
did)
2.  The CLIENT is told to "Whoa......Stop Sending Data......Hang on while
I move stuff out of the storagepool to make more room....OK Client, you
can send me more data, now......"

Am I way off on this or is this some sort of problem ?

Also, the book says : "System Action: The specified session is ended and
server operation continues."     Does this mean the archive was killed and
did not finish successfully ?

Zoltan Forray
Zoltan Forray
Virginia Commonwealth University - University Computing Center
e-mail: zforray AT vcu DOT edu  -  voice: 804-828-4807