ADSM-L

NAS backup

2002-05-14 02:59:00
Subject: NAS backup
From: Sandra Ghaoui <sandra_ghaoui AT YAHOO DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 23:58:50 -0700
Hi all,

I'm getting back again with a performance problem !!

TSMServer 4.2.1  WIN2k
TSM client 4.2.1 WIN2k- NAS system

I want to perform a backup of the NAS on a DLT8000
tape. I am having performance problems ...

I tried a backup of a sample of 300M.
Using windows backup utility it takes 1 min to
complete and by using TSM it takes 9 min!!!  This
backup has been performed locally ....
Also , I tried using first the driver of the DLT8000
tape as detected by TSM but still I was getting a poor
backup performance so I configured TSM to use the
native device driver . Same result .

Can you offer any advice?

oh and I have another question. I read that TSM server
can be installed on the NAS only to backup locally the
NAS. Is that correct? and can I have the tape linked
to the NAS and the server on another box?

hope you can help me on this

regards,
Sandra