ADSM-L

managing backupsets.

2002-05-14 00:55:15
Subject: managing backupsets.
From: Steve Harris <STEVE_HARRIS AT HEALTH.QLD.GOV DOT AU>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 14:55:24 +1000
Hi All,

Despite my protestations, management is in a**-covering mode.  The boss wants
yearly backups of all nodes to be kept basically indefinitely even though there
is no user requirement.

Ok. My server is a 2 way 332Mhz Silver wide node, with two 3590E1As in a 3494,
and ESS shark disk storage. Tape is SCSI at the moment, but soon to be FC
attached, Disk is FC attached.  AIX 4.3.3.09 and TSM 4.2.1.8.

I currently have 14GB of database about 45% used but expanding rapidly as a new
web server with zillions of files ramps up.
A lot of my data is oracle database backups, normally RMAN backups to disk.

I've been told to keep a monthly snapshot of each node, and I plan to do this
by creating a second node for each real node with a different domain that will
keep 13 months worth of everything, but only backs up once a month. there goes
my free database space.

The yearly requirement is to keep 2 copies, one offsite.  So here's the plan

1. define a sequential storage pool on disk with suitable sized files, say 1GB
2. exclude this directory from backup
3. install HSM on this filesystem
4. run generate backupset to this disk pool for each of the monthly nodes
during the January quiet period.
5. migrate all the data to tape as it is created.
6. after all nodes data is generated force the rest of the data to migrate
7. run a backup stg on the HSM stgpool and move this off site.

This has the advantage of having two tape copies, with everything still under
TSM control.  In the (unlikely) event of a restore from the backupset, the
recall is automatic.  There are only a few files to track so the DB entries
will not be excessive.

Can anyone see any gotchas with this?  Volhist will get big, and backupsets are
somewhat unwieldy.  Also backupsets have a max 9999 day retention period.
Anything else?

Thanks Gang

Steve Harris
AIX and TSM Admin
Queensland Health, Brisbane Australia

This e-mail, including any attachments sent with it, is confidential
and for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). This confidentiality
is not waived or lost if you receive it and you are not the intended
recipient(s), or if it is transmitted/ received in error.

Any unauthorised use, alteration, disclosure, distribution or review
of this e-mail is prohibited.  It may be subject to a statutory duty of
confidentiality if it relates to health service matters.

If you are not the intended recipient(s), or if you have received this
e-mail in error, you are asked to immediately notify the sender by
telephone or by return e-mail.  You should also delete this e-mail
message and destroy any hard copies produced.