ADSM-L

DRM Volume contains files that cannot be restored

2002-05-10 15:52:46
Subject: DRM Volume contains files that cannot be restored
From: "Kliewer, Vern" <VKliewer AT MPI.MB DOT CA>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 14:52:30 -0500
How do I track down what is going on here?

After restoring the database and most of the DISKPOOL from tape
using DRM procedures, I get one DISK volume left over. It
appears to contain a very limited amount of data from a single
node.

We back up our DISK and TAPE pools to COPYPOOL. We then
back-up the database, first with a DBFULL backup that stays in
the library, and then with a DBSNAPSHOT that gets exported and
sent to offsite storage.

I realise this leaves a window between the time the DISKPOOL
was backed up to the COPYPOOL and when the DBSNAPSHOT
was started where, if NODE backups were active, they might put
some data in the DISKPOOL that the database knows about
when the DBSNAPSHOT is taken, but did not get into the
COPYPOOL.

How do I eliminate all other possibilities?

The reason I ask, is that several COPYPOOL tapes, which were
marked UNAVAILABLE, but had not yet been sent off-site at the
time of the DBSNAPSHOT did NOT get marked as READ-ONLY
by the recovery process. Therefore it appeared that we could not
restore a great chunk of our DISKPOOL, until I discovered I had
tapes that were marked "UNAVAILABLE". Once I marked those as
READ-ONLY I got almost all of our DISKPOOL back, except for
these few files on one volume.

Werner (Vern) Kliewer
Sr. ITS Analyst
Mid-Range Support
Manitoba Public Insurance
(204)-985-7745
vkliewer AT mpi.mb DOT ca

(Sorry if this is a double post. I cannot tell if the first one arrived at
the list)