ADSM-L

Split ARCHIVE/BACKUP Data Into Seperate STGPOOL

2002-05-10 10:08:18
Subject: Split ARCHIVE/BACKUP Data Into Seperate STGPOOL
From: Robin Lowe <robin_lowe AT STANDARDLIFE DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 15:07:31 +0100
We took a decision when we first set up ADSM back in 1994,  to direct all
backup and archive data to the same tape storagepool.
We do not use COPY STORAGEPOOL, but have since taken the decision to use
COPY STORAGEPOOL for archive data only.

So we have defined our storage hierarchy and arcive copygroup to ensure all
NEW archived data is directed to a seperate STGPOOL, which we backup with
COPY STORAGEPOOL.

Now here is my problem, is there an easy way to seperate the archive/backup
data in the current tape storagepool ?

I have searched for a method, and can only come up with the idea of using
MOVE DATA of tapes that I know have ARCHIVE data on them (but will also have
backups) into the STGPOOL which is then backed up.
That will make two copies of our archive data, but some backup data will be
unnecessarily copied as well, but through time, should eventually be
deleted.

Any offers would be welcomed on a better solution.

We will have to carry out this exercise on both our OS390 TSM (4.1.4.0) and
our AIX TSM (4.2.1.9).

Thanks

Robin Lowe
Senior Storage Analyst