ADSM-L

Re: Disaster Recovery Site

2002-05-07 15:04:57
Subject: Re: Disaster Recovery Site
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT MAIL.TJU DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 7 May 2002 15:04:58 -0400
>    Put a TSM Server  and LTO 3583 in New Jersey Site 1 to backup both New
>    Jersey sites.
Your original posting mentions a 3584 at the Colorado site. Your copy pool
proposal leads to each site storing one copy of its own data and one copy
of the other site's data. This would seem to imply that the two sites will
need comparable tape libraries.
>          We would do this with a T1 that is dedicated to only the backups.
>          The TSM server would be a W2K server.
>    Use the New Jersey Site 1 as a disaster recovery site for Colorado and
>    vise versa.
>          I would backup the tapepool in Colorado to a special Copypool
>          (i.e. COLOcopypool) in New Jersey
>          I would backup the tapepool in New Jersey to a special Copypool
>          (i.e. NJcopypool) in Colorado.
>          We have two option to get the data back and forth (my LAN WAN
>          person is investigating this for me):
>             Dedicated line between the two sites
>             A T1 (dedicated ot just backups) going through a frame.
You have another choice to make. Are you going to put the copy pools on
server to server virtual volumes, or use some kind of channel extenders
to let a TSM server at one site treat tape drives at the other site as
local tape drives?

> Here are my questions:
>
>    Since they will be Disaster Recovery sites for each other, does the TSM
>    server need to be the same operating system?
There is no quick way to merge the databases from two TSM servers. If a
disaster occurs you will need to recreate the destroyed TSM server. If the
two TSM servers run under the same operating system and are at the same
release and maintenance level, you will be able to recreate the destroyed
server by running a second instance of TSM on the system that hosts the
surviving production TSM server. If you are willing to provide for separate
hardware for recreating destroyed TSM servers it would be perfectly possible
to have the two production TSM servers run under different operating systems.