ADSM-L

Re: Netware - NDS - Restoring NDS in case of extreme loss

2002-05-02 16:04:30
Subject: Re: Netware - NDS - Restoring NDS in case of extreme loss
From: Jim Smith <smithjp AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 2 May 2002 12:49:43 -0700
Hello,

Please refer to the "Tivoli Storage Manager for NetWare Backup-Archive
Client Installation and User's Guide" Version 5 Release 1 which is
available at the Tivoli web site.  There is a chapter called "Tivoli
Storage Manager NetWare Backup and Recovery Guide" which documents how to
recover machines and NDS considerations (this was formally published as a
separate white paper).  Even if you are running the TSM V4 Netware B-A
client, the information will still apply.

I assume that the "hidden" directory you are talking about is the
directory where the NetWare server physically stores the logical NDS
information for which that server is responsible.  The B-A client does not
explicitly backup/restore this directory, but instead relies on using the
NetWare backup API via the NDS target-service agent (TSANDS.NLM) to
backup/restore NDS objects.  Even if this directory were visible to a
backup product, I don't think that you would be guaranteed any level
consistency during a backup operation.

Hope this helps,
Jim Smith
TSM development

I've been asked by our NDS expert, if TSM backs up the netware hidden
directory.

Apparently it doesn't as I've watched TSM backup the NDS and it backups
the individual NDS objects.

Has anyone had to do a complete restore of a netware box, including NDS?

Did it work, what steps did you take as the backup/archive manual for
netware is lacking this kind of information