ADSM-L

virtual vol going to wrong primary pool on target server

2002-05-02 13:33:13
Subject: virtual vol going to wrong primary pool on target server
From: Steve Bennett <steve_bennett AT ADMIN.STATE.AK DOT US>
Date: Thu, 2 May 2002 09:29:28 -0800
TSMers,

I am doing a disaster recovery simulation and have one issue I
can't seem to resolve so I would appreciate some help from you all.

As with many TSM issues this gets fairly complex so I hope don't confuse
you all with the details below.

I have 3 tsm servers, all win2k sp2, tsm v4.1.3.0. Their names are:
w2ktape1    (production server)
w2ktape2    (production server)
w2ktape3    (test server)

My dr test is to use the w2ktape2 copypool tapes to rebuild w2ktape2 on
w2ktape3 as w2ktape3. The dr has been completed up to the point where I
need to
recover the primary tapepool for w2ktape2. Since w2ktape3 has no tape
library I am going to use virtual volume support so that when I restore
the w2ktape2 primary tapepool to the new primary diskpool on w2ktape3 it
migrates to a primary diskpool on w2ktape1 which will then migrate to a
primary tapepool on w2ktape1.

I have completed all the definitions to accomplish the virtual vol
support
between w2ktape3 and w2ktape1 and ran a prepare command to test it.

prepare planp=w2ktape2x.recovery.plan devc=w2ktape1_dr

Much to my surprise it wrote the prepare plan directly to a tape rather
than
the diskpool.

I then forced a migration from the w2ktape3 primary diskpool which also
went
directly to tape rather than the diskpool on w2ktape1.

The original w2ktape2 server already has virt vol support to w2ktape1 so
from
w2ktape3 I tried the above prepare command with that device class and it
did
go to the primary diskpool on w2ktape1. However, it is my production
diskpool and
I do now want to commingle production data with my dr data.

Now I've looked over all the defs shown below and can't see why it is
bypassing the primary diskpool on w2ktape1 and going directly to tape on
w2ktape1. I think I have included all the relevant definitions.

Can any of you see why my defs aren't doing what I wanted?

w2ktape3 defs:

q devc w2ktape1_dr f=d

             Device Class Name: W2KTAPE1_DR
        Device Access Strategy: Sequential
            Storage Pool Count: 0
                   Device Type: SERVER
                        Format:
         Est/Max Capacity (MB): 3,072.0
                   Mount Limit: 1
              Mount Wait (min):
         Mount Retention (min): 2
                  Label Prefix: ADSM
                  Drive Letter:
                       Library:
                     Directory:
                   Server Name: W2KTAPE1_DR
                  Retry Period: 10
                Retry Interval: 120
                      Twosided:

q serv w2ktape1_dr f=d
                                  Server Name: W2KTAPE1_DR
                                 Comm. Method: TCPIP
                           High-level Address: w2ktape1.state.ak.us
                            Low-level Address: 1500
                            Allow Replacement: No
                                    Node Name: W2KTAPE1_DR
                        Last Access Date/Time: 04/26/2002 13:39:31
                       Days Since Last Access: 6
                                      Locked?: No
                                  Compression: No
                      Archive Delete Allowed?: (?)
                    Registering Administrator: XTSCSMB
                  Bytes Received Last Session: 788
                      Bytes Sent Last Session: 100,769
                     Duration of Last Session: 51.00
                  Pct. Idle Wait Last Session: 100.00
                 Pct. Comm. Wait Last Session: 0.00
                 Pct. Media Wait Last Session: 0.00
                        Grace Deletion Period: 5
                             Managing profile:
                          Server Password Set: No
                Server Password Set Date/Time: (?)
               Days Since Server Password Set: (?)
             Invalid Sign-on Count for Server: 0
                  Virtual Volume Password Set: Yes
        Virtual Volume Password Set Date/Time: 04/26/2002 13:39:31
       Days Since Virtual Volume Password Set: 6
Invalid Sign-on Count for Virtual Volume Node: 0

q stg prod_incr_dispool f=d

               Storage Pool Name: PROD_INCR_DISKPOOL
               Storage Pool Type: Primary
               Device Class Name: DISK
         Estimated Capacity (MB): 21,000.0
                        Pct Util: 13.8
                        Pct Migr: 13.8
                     Pct Logical: 97.1
                    High Mig Pct: 13
                     Low Mig Pct: 12
                 Migration Delay: 0
              Migration Continue: Yes
             Migration Processes: 1
               Next Storage Pool: W2KTAPE1_DR_DISKPOOL
            Reclaim Storage Pool:
          Maximum Size Threshold: 3 G
                          Access: Read/Write
               Overflow Location:
           Cache Migrated Files?: No
                      Collocate?:
           Reclamation Threshold:
 Maximum Scratch Volumes Allowed:
   Delay Period for Volume Reuse:
          Migration in Progress?: Yes
            Amount Migrated (MB): 0.00
Elapsed Migration Time (seconds): 65
        Reclamation in Progress?:
 Volume Being Migrated/Reclaimed:

q stg w2k* f=d
               Storage Pool Name: W2KTAPE1_DR_DISKPOOL
               Storage Pool Type: Primary
               Device Class Name: W2KTAPE1_DR
         Estimated Capacity (MB): 0.0
                        Pct Util: 0.0
                        Pct Migr: 0.0
                     Pct Logical: 100.0
                    High Mig Pct: 90
                     Low Mig Pct: 70
                 Migration Delay: 0
              Migration Continue: Yes
             Migration Processes:
               Next Storage Pool:
            Reclaim Storage Pool:
          Maximum Size Threshold: No Limit
                          Access: Read/Write
               Overflow Location:
           Cache Migrated Files?:
                      Collocate?: No
           Reclamation Threshold: 60
 Maximum Scratch Volumes Allowed: 500
   Delay Period for Volume Reuse: 1 Day(s)
          Migration in Progress?: No
            Amount Migrated (MB): 0.00
Elapsed Migration Time (seconds): 0
        Reclamation in Progress?: No
 Volume Being Migrated/Reclaimed:

w2ktape1 defs:

q no w2ktape1_dr f=d t=s
                     Node Name: W2KTAPE1_DR
                      Platform: Windows NT
               Client OS Level: (?)
                Client Version: (?)
            Policy Domain Name: W2KTAPE1_DR
         Last Access Date/Time: 05/01/2002 15:01:19
        Days Since Last Access: 1
        Password Set Date/Time: 04/26/2002 13:53:02
       Days Since Password Set: 6
         Invalid Sign-on Count: 0
                       Locked?: No
                       Contact:
                   Compression: Client
       Archive Delete Allowed?: Yes
        Backup Delete Allowed?: No
        Registration Date/Time: 04/26/2002 13:53:02
     Registering Administrator: XTSCSMB
Last Communication Method Used: Tcp/Ip
   Bytes Received Last Session: 100,769
       Bytes Sent Last Session: 788
      Duration of Last Session: 51.00
   Pct. Idle Wait Last Session: 0.00
  Pct. Comm. Wait Last Session: 0.00
  Pct. Media Wait Last Session: 94.12
                     Optionset:
                     Node Type: Server
    Password Expiration Period:
             Keep Mount Point?: No
  Maximum Mount Points Allowed: 1

q pol w2k* f=d
            Policy Domain Name: W2KTAPE1_DR
               Policy Set Name: ACTIVE
       Default Mgmt Class Name: STANDARD

            Policy Domain Name: W2KTAPE1_DR
               Policy Set Name: STANDARD

q cop w2ktape1_dr f=d
            Policy Domain Name: W2KTAPE1_DR
               Policy Set Name: ACTIVE
               Mgmt Class Name: STANDARD
               Copy Group Name: STANDARD
               Copy Group Type: Backup
          Versions Data Exists: 2
         Versions Data Deleted: 1
         Retain Extra Versions: 30
           Retain Only Version: 60
                     Copy Mode: Modified
            Copy Serialization: Shared Static
                Copy Frequency: 0
              Copy Destination: DISKPOOL_DR

            Policy Domain Name: W2KTAPE1_DR
               Policy Set Name: STANDARD
               Mgmt Class Name: STANDARD
               Copy Group Name: STANDARD
               Copy Group Type: Backup
          Versions Data Exists: 2
         Versions Data Deleted: 1
         Retain Extra Versions: 30
           Retain Only Version: 60
                     Copy Mode: Modified
            Copy Serialization: Shared Static
                Copy Frequency: 0
              Copy Destination: DISKPOOL_DR

q cop w2ktape1_dr f=d t=arc
            Policy Domain Name: W2KTAPE1_DR
               Policy Set Name: ACTIVE
               Mgmt Class Name: STANDARD
               Copy Group Name: STANDARD
               Copy Group Type: Archive
                Retain Version: 365
            Copy Serialization: Shared Static
                Copy Frequency: CMD
                     Copy Mode: Absolute
              Copy Destination: DISKPOOL_DR

            Policy Domain Name: W2KTAPE1_DR
               Policy Set Name: STANDARD
               Mgmt Class Name: STANDARD
               Copy Group Name: STANDARD
               Copy Group Type: Archive
                Retain Version: 365
            Copy Serialization: Shared Static
                Copy Frequency: CMD
                     Copy Mode: Absolute
              Copy Destination: DISKPOOL_DR

q stg dis* f=d
               Storage Pool Name: DISKPOOL_DR
               Storage Pool Type: Primary
               Device Class Name: DISK
         Estimated Capacity (MB): 10,000.0
                        Pct Util: 0.0
                        Pct Migr: 0.0
                     Pct Logical: 100.0
                    High Mig Pct: 80
                     Low Mig Pct: 60
                 Migration Delay: 0
              Migration Continue: Yes
             Migration Processes: 1
               Next Storage Pool: TAPEPOOL_DR
            Reclaim Storage Pool:
          Maximum Size Threshold: 3 G
                          Access: Read/Write
               Overflow Location:
           Cache Migrated Files?: No
                      Collocate?:
           Reclamation Threshold:
 Maximum Scratch Volumes Allowed:
   Delay Period for Volume Reuse:
          Migration in Progress?: No
            Amount Migrated (MB): 0.00
Elapsed Migration Time (seconds): 0
        Reclamation in Progress?:
 Volume Being Migrated/Reclaimed:

q stg tap* f=d
               Storage Pool Name: TAPEPOOL_DR
               Storage Pool Type: Primary
               Device Class Name: 3590
         Estimated Capacity (MB): 1,792,000.0
                        Pct Util: 0.0
                        Pct Migr: 2.0
                     Pct Logical: 100.0
                    High Mig Pct: 100
                     Low Mig Pct: 99
                 Migration Delay: 0
              Migration Continue: Yes
             Migration Processes:
               Next Storage Pool:
            Reclaim Storage Pool:
          Maximum Size Threshold: No Limit
                          Access: Read/Write
               Overflow Location:
           Cache Migrated Files?:
                      Collocate?: No
           Reclamation Threshold: 100
 Maximum Scratch Volumes Allowed: 50
   Delay Period for Volume Reuse: 10 Day(s)

--
Steve Bennett, (907) 465-5783
Steve Bennett, (907) 465-5783