ADSM-L

asr AT ufl DOT edu: Re: Using Backupsets for Disaster Recovery

2002-05-01 21:15:03
Subject: asr AT ufl DOT edu: Re: Using Backupsets for Disaster Recovery
From: asr AT UFL DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 1 May 2002 21:15:08 -0400
Fumble-fingered.  Here's the rest.

=> On Wed, 1 May 2002 04:20:13 -0400, "Seay, Paul" <seay_pd AT NAPTHEON DOT
COM> said:

> It can be used for servers, but that was not the backupsets' original
> mission in life.

I've got one other use for backupsets: for the big restores.

We've got a ~400 GB server (mail store for central IMAP service at UF) that
we're setting up to have many virtualmountpoints, each of which will
eventually hold ~10GB. (actually ~100GB filesystems)

In this situation, tape "stutter" and re-seek can be a major constituent of
the restore time. To minimize this, we plan:

have a FILE device class available with space ~ 40G + (or know where we'd
   get one if the hammer dropped)

2) GEN BACKUPSET NODENAME mail01 devc=filefoo
   GEN BACKUPSET NODENAME mail02 devc=filefoo
[...]
   as many generates running as you have tape drives.

as soon as one of these is complete, begin a restore of it, and begin
generating the backupset for the next one.

The tape is writing to local disk, and therefore is minimally likely to
stutter.  The restore is reading from disk, and is therefore best able to keep
from overwhelming the network.  The restore can begin quickly ( after 10GB of
database lookup, instead of much more) and can 'pipeline'.

Allen S. Rout