ADSM-L

Re: Using Backupsets for Disaster Recovery

2002-05-01 21:05:41
Subject: Re: Using Backupsets for Disaster Recovery
From: asr AT UFL DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 1 May 2002 21:05:47 -0400
=> On Wed, 1 May 2002 04:20:13 -0400, "Seay, Paul" <seay_pd AT NAPTHEON DOT
COM> said:

> It can be used for servers, but that was not the backupsets' original
> mission in life.

I've got one other use for backupsets: for the big restores.

We've got a ~400 GB server (mail store for central IMAP service at UF) that
we're setting up to have many virtualmountpoints, each of which will
eventually hold ~10GB. (actually ~100GB filesystems)

In this situation, tape "stutter" and re-seek can be a major constituent of
the restore time. To minimize this, we plan:

have a FILE device class available with space ~ 40G + (or know where we'd
   get one if the hammer dropped)

2) GEN BACKUPSET NODENAME mail01 devc=filefoo
   GEN BACKUPSET NODENAME mail02 devc=filefoo
[...]
   as many generates running as you have tape drives.

as soon as one of these is complete, begin a restore of it, and begin
generating the backupset for the next one.

The tape is