ADSM-L

Re: Recovery Log almost 100%

2002-05-01 14:56:03
Subject: Re: Recovery Log almost 100%
From: Sung Y Lee <sunglee AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 1 May 2002 13:54:16 -0500
When log reaches 100%, just pray that TSM server process will not crash.

I say the key is prevention.  Whatever you can do to prevent that from
happening is the best answer.

There are many things you can do to prevent from growing to 100%.
One that works for me is I have LogMode set to Roll Forward mode with dbb
trigger at 38% with incremental between at 3(q dbb)
Log is also set to maximum allowed without going over limit plus room for
extension should it ever reaches 100% and TSM crashes.  Have it set at 4.5
GB(To be safe).  Max allowed recovery log for TSM 4.1 is 5.3 GB?? I can't
recall exact value.

If the TSM server is in Log mode than more than likely it will have dbb
trigger set at certain point.   For example,
adsm> q dbb

Full           Incremental       Log Full         Incrementals
Device         Device          Percentage  Between
Class          Class                    Fulls
----------     -----------     ----------     ------------
IBM3590        IBM3590                 38                 3
IBM3590        IBM3590                 38                 3

When the recovery log reaches 38%, an incremental database backup will kick
off up to 3 threes before a full database backup performed.   The most of
time TSM server will prevent other sessions from establishing when the
recovery log reaches 100% but will allow the trigger database backup to
complete and it will bring the recovery log down to 0.  Sometimes TSM will
simply crash.  If it crashes then you will need to do an emergency recovery
log extend and bring TSM backup.

Sung Y. Lee
E-mail sunglee AT us.ibm DOT com

                      brian welsh
                      <brianwelsh3@HOTM        To:       ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST
DOT EDU
                      AIL.COM>                 cc:
                      Sent by: "ADSM:          Subject:  Recovery Log almost
100%
                      Dist Stor
                      Manager"
                      <[email protected]
                      .EDU>

                      05/01/2002 01:23
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      "ADSM: Dist Stor
                      Manager"

Hello,

AIX 4.3.3 and server 4.1.1.0.

Last night two archive-schedules had a problem. On the clients there were
files in a kind of loop and TSM tried to archive them. Result, recovery log
almost 100%. This was the first time our log is that high. Problem on the
client solved, but now I have the following question.

I was wondering how other people prevent the log from growing to 100%, and
how to handle after the log have reached 100%.

Any tip is welcome.

Brian.

MSN Foto's is de makkelijkste manier om je foto's te delen met anderen en
af
te drukken: http://photos.msn.nl/Support/WorldWide.aspx