ADSM-L

Re: Recovering from a disaster ....

2002-05-01 09:27:47
Subject: Re: Recovering from a disaster ....
From: Zlatko Krastev <acit AT ATTGLOBAL DOT NET>
Date: Wed, 1 May 2002 16:24:50 +0300
All you need to recover from a disaster is:
1. At least one copy of the database
2. At least one copy of the objects (files for B/A client and backups for
TDPs) known to the database restored in step 1.
Will the copy of the database ordinary full backup, a full+incrementals or
DB snapshot - it only has to be a restorable copy !
Will the copies in step 2 be on tapes in primary pools or in one/many copy
pools - again does not matter. Disaster recovery procedures are usually
talking about copy pools mainly because in a major disaster primary pools
and their volumes are distroyed somehow. If they are not destroyed think
of this not as a disaster but as large restore - recover TSM server using
DB backup and restore nodes from "your data backup tapes" (I assume you
mean "primary pool volumes").
Tivoli Disaster Recovery Manager (now part of ISM EE) helps by preparing
disaster recovery plan which helps to perform all necessary steps without
losing time thus assisting to minimize downtime during recovery. You still
have to perform the steps.
I hope I understood your question correct and the answer would help.

Zlatko Krastev
IT Consultant