ADSM-L

Re: Recovering from a disaster ....

2002-04-30 10:33:08
Subject: Re: Recovering from a disaster ....
From: Nicholas Cassimatis <nickpc AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 10:33:20 -0400
Dwight's situation is fairly unique, I think.  Having the tape library
offsite saves the big step of getting the data offsite, which is a
requirement for Disaster Recovery (And Dwight - I'm jealous.  Must be nice
to have some free cycles on the tape drives!).  The rest of us, with our
libraries onsite, have to make a copy of the data to send offsite, or send
all original copies of data offsite, and deal with the inability to respond
to a restore request (and be unable to reclaim tapes, plus face other
issues).  So most of us make copies.  Then we have to move those copies
offsite, and manage them there.  That's where the DRM tool comes into play
it handles a lot of that work for you.  If you know TSM like some on the
list here do, you can get away with not using DRM yet still have a Disaster
Recovery plan.  However, if you're a novice TSM user, or have to split your
attention between TSM and other areas, then DRM may be just what you need
to make things work.  In the backup/recovery business, the bottom line is
to be able to recovery your customer's data.  Anything short of that is
usually not acceptable.

Nick Cassimatis
nickpc AT us.ibm DOT com

Today is the tomorrow of yesterday.