ADSM-L

Re: Using a tape drive via network

2002-04-27 16:29:50
Subject: Re: Using a tape drive via network
From: Zlatko Krastev <acit AT ATTGLOBAL DOT NET>
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2002 23:29:26 +0300
Anton,

I am not completely familiar with RSM features but AFAIK it does not
provide remote tape access (R stands for removable not for remote). In
other words is it possible to open device on one system, request to be
sent through the LAN to other system which would actually perform
reads/writes? If not you have only option to install TSM server with
manual type library (in TSM terms) on the workstation of your colleague.
Probably this also is not very useful.
Yes, in competitive products there is a thing called media server but this
is made to spread the load to overcome the scalability issue. TSM is doing
the things the other way.

Zlatko Krastev
IT Consultant