ADSM-L

Re: 3583 with San Data Gateway

2002-04-24 14:45:11
Subject: Re: 3583 with San Data Gateway
From: Lloyd Dieter <dieter AT SNRGY DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 14:45:01 -0400
John,

As to your question about the SDG not working correctly...the response
that said "don't worry about it" is correct.

There is no windows driver for the SDG, nor is one needed.  If it concerns
you, you can disable lun 0 using the command "disableCC 2" from the either
the serial port or via telnet.

This is described in the Redbook "Using TSM in a SAN environment" on page
59.  The example describes the process for the SDG Router, but it's good
for the SDG as well.

-Lloyd
On Wed, 24 Apr 2002 19:00:45 +0100
John <rs6000 AT BTINTERNET DOT COM> wrote:

> Thats correct Bill
>
> The drives show up as follows:
>
> GEN_DRIVE \\Tape0
> GEN_DRIVE \\Tape1
>
> I am going on site again tomorrow to try and make some sense of it.
>
> It still concerns me that the windows device manager says that the SDG
is
> probably not working correctly. I am not sure whether I should just
accept
> that as "normal" as someone suggested.
>
> Based on my findings tomorrow, I will post the symptoms is much more
detail.

> Rgds
> John

Windows
> > device driver and not the TSM SCSI device driver. Which is what he
stated
> in
> > the original email. He's using the IBM LTO device drivers, which is
what
> the
> > Admin book recommends. The Library itself will be managed with the
TSMSCSI
> > driver, but the drives use the IBM LTO device driver and show up and
> > \\.\Tapex. If you were using the TSMSCSI driver the drives would be
> > MTx.x.x.x format.
> >
> > Bill Boyer
> > DSS, Inc.

Of
> > Anthony Wong
> > Sent: Wednesday, April 24, 2002 12:36 PM
> > To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
> > Subject: Re: 3583 with San Data Gateway
> >

> > <<Console as \\.\TapeX where X is a number.
> >
> > \\.\TapeX is a generic device driver
> >
> > As mention before, using generic device driver is not supported with
TSM
> > server on NTx. Since testing all available generic device drivers is
time
> > consuming and testing teams are no way to test all up-to-date generic
> > device drivers against TSM server on NTx.
> >
> > IF customers need to use generic drvice driver for any reasons
(RSM),use
> > Microsoft OS certified device driver from the latest service pack. If
> > Microsoft does not provide device driver for the deivce, try download
> > latest certified device driver form the vender website.
> >

> > TSM testing team never use generic device against TSM with the
following
> > exception:
> >
> > 1.  Restore backupset from local attached tape driver/libraries or SDG
> > attached tape drive/libraries
> >

> > For more information about RSM ,
> > http://www.tivoli.com/support/storage_mgr/devices/magstar.html#magscsi
> >

> >  The following environments are not presently supported:
> >        Removable Storage Manager (RSM) - controlled libraries on
Windows
> >        2000
> >        IBM Ultrium devices when library is controlled by RSM on
Windows
> >        2000
> >

> > Again, not presently supported does not means it will not work.
> >

> > Tivoli Storage Management Function Verification Test , FVT Automation
> > Project Lead
> > Office:408-256-3312 Home:650-757-1661 Cell:415-218-7880
AIM:smartbluewong
> > Dept Y0LA /Bldg 050-3 / Office 3A64
> > IBM SSG Division 46
> >

> > James Thompson <mezron AT HOTMAIL DOT COM>@VM.MARIST.EDU> on 04/24/2002
07:38:08
> > AM
> >
> > Please respond to "ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU>
> >
> > Sent by:    "ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU>
> >

> > To:    ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
> > cc:
> > Subject:    Re: 3583 with San Data Gateway
> >

> > With the 3583 and TSM on Win2k, the drives use the IBM device driver
> > located
> > at ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/storage/devdrvr/Win2000/
> > Once you've installed the driver and configured the drives to use this
> > driver, you should be able to see the drives under the TSM Management
> > Console as \\.\TapeX where X is a number.
> >
> > The library part can either be controlled by the Windows RSM or by the
TSM
> > device driver.
> >
> > James Thompson

    Lloyd Dieter        -       Senior Technology Consultant
    Lloyd Dieter        -       Senior Technology Consultant
   Synergy, Inc.   http://www.synergyinc.cc   ldieter AT snrgy DOT com
             Main:716-389-1260    fax:716-389-1267