ADSM-L

File Expiration question.

2002-04-24 14:22:57
Subject: File Expiration question.
From: Alan Davenport <Alan.Davenport AT SELECTIVE DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 14:16:06 -0400
Hello,

     I have a problem that I am hoping you can help me with. Some of our
Novell servers got hit by a virus because Norton was not up to date. The
network engineers updated Norton to the latest version then ran a full scan
on the servers. Norton apparently touches the files when doing a full scan
so the each entire server would have backed up last night. Another network
engineer decided to exclude the largest directory on each server for servers
that are out on our WAN. The problem of course is that all of the files
became inactive and the three oldest versions were marked for expiration.
The exclusion is being removed for tonight's backup. We decided to just bite
the bullet and allow them to back up fully.

My question is this: Since the exclusion was removed will he files that
expired be rebound to their normal management class and thus, not expire or
am I out of luck? I have disabled Inventory Expiration for now.

       Thanks,
           Al

Alan Davenport
Senior Storage Administrator