ADSM-L

Re: Single Drive Manual Library

2002-04-22 10:30:52
Subject: Re: Single Drive Manual Library
From: Etienne Brodeur <ebrodeur AT SERTI DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 10:28:30 -0400
        I HAD a client like your describe, small sites (less than 40 GB
total storage) withan LTO 3580 tape drive.  The problem is that you have
to do reclamation on the disks (since you only have one tape drive), now
with an LTO tape (100 to 200 GB depending of compression) that's a lot os
space to leave empty on the server.  So my client decided to NOT use
reclamation.  He routinely deleted the volumes manually to be able to
reuse them.  To make sure that he had a full copy of his files I
configured a selective backup that took everything on his machines once
per week.  I had to setup TSM to work like the good old days of four
incremental and then a full backup.

        As for the DB backups, he had to change the tape in his drive
(doing a dismount vol _volname_ first) manually before the schedule DB
backup at 10:00 AM (he didn't want to have to type the commands himself).
Then he loads the tapes for tonight checking to make sure there is enough
space on it.  If there isn't enough space then he does a delete volume
_volname_ discarddata=yes.

        In other words it's pretty horrible.  We added an old tape drive
he had lying around and use that for the DB backups which helped a little.
 I guest if you have reclamation it would help a lot, but you still have
to manipulate the tapes a lot and check for free space on them before
using them.

        I have setup sites in collocation with small library 5-8 slots and
one drive and that works well as long as you have enough space on disks to
reclaim your volumes.

If anyone as good way of functionning with a single tape drive let me
know!

Etienne Brodeur

Kolbeinn Josepsson <Kolbeinn.Josepsson AT NYHERJI DOT IS>
04/22/2002 09:51 AM