ADSM-L

Affects of changing Retentions Questions

2002-04-22 08:23:08
Subject: Affects of changing Retentions Questions
From: "Hart, Charles" <charles.hart AT MEDTRONIC DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 07:07:50 -0500
I had made a change in our copy groups from VerExists and VerDeleted from
NoLimit to Verexists 5 Verdeleted 3.  It appears by doing this all of the TSM
clients (WinNT, Win2K, Novel, Sun ETC) are going through a "full" backup to
apply the changes to each file which is causing a huge load on the TSM servers
and the recovery log fills.    Couple Questions
        1) By making this change doe the node then have to re-examine all
clients file and back them up as if it was a new client.?
        2) If yes to No 1 then it would create a Huge load on the server?
        3) Anyone know of a way improve / speed up the process?  (DB Cache is @
98-99%
        4) For the new retentions to take affect does the following need to
happen?
                Node Backup, DB Backup, then expire?
        5) If I change the copy group retentions back to a create the same
situation all over?

Environment Info
        Server Info = Running TSM 4.1.5.3 on AIX 4.3.3
        Client Info= Netware 4.11, 5, Win2K SP2, Winnt4 SP4+ , Solaris 2.8, 8,
AIX 4.3.3

Any help on how to improve this process would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

Regards,

Charles Hart