ADSM-L

Re: New Tivoli licensing - what "processor" mean (RESOLVED)

2002-04-18 06:10:58
Subject: Re: New Tivoli licensing - what "processor" mean (RESOLVED)
From: Zlatko Krastev <acit AT ATTGLOBAL DOT NET>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 13:09:59 +0300
Old Value-Based Pricing (VBP) scheme was distinguishing only the *servers*
but not clients. New Enhanced VBP (EVBP) is counting the number of
processors on both servers and nodes:
1. Processors managed by the product (i.e. processors on TSM nodes)
2. Processors in which the managing server is installed (i.e. processors on the
TSM servers)
I already pointed the major source of this information (IBM EMEA
Announcement Letter ZP02-0172) and provided the URL. The explanation what
this brief description means was found in an internal IBM presentation and
neither I've seen it nor have any right (and chance) to quote parts of it.
So those TSM installations which have many workstations, uniprocessor PC
server nodes and UNIX server nodes with up to 3-4 processors would get
benefit of new pricing. Others using TSM mostly for backup of servers (and
especially mid-class multi-processor servers) would see price increase for
new licenses. Example 8-proc AIX/HP-UX/Solaris box required one Tier 2
MgSysLAN license and now requires 8 "Processor Charge Units". Same for
LAN-free - MgSysSAN license is less expensive than 8 ISM EE processor
licenses. And if you go to Enterprise Edition because of *ONE* server all
other processors are at the higher price. I still do have to get an answer
can customer buy ISM and ISM EE licenses.
The question how goes the migration of VBP Tivoli Management Points (TMPs)
to EVBP processors/clients still stays unanswered. I'll keep in touch.

Zlatko Krastev
IT Consultant