ADSM-L

Re: Daily Backup Report

2002-04-16 11:27:38
Subject: Re: Daily Backup Report
From: Denis L'Huillier <dlhuillier AT PERSHING DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 11:23:06 -0400
Are you sure....

When an incremental schedule is kicked off the TSM Server scheduler waits
for a return code to be sent back
to the server from the client... If rc=0 then the backup completed
successfully.
That's why when you do a q eve on a schedule that is running you will see..
"Started,Pending,Missed,Failed, etc".

When checking the status of a backup schedule the q eve is the way to go.

With the exception of command schedules.  Command type schedules will
report success if the command was
successfully executed.  For example, when using TSM to execute commands on
a Lotus Domino server the schedule
will return with a completed status if the command file was successfully
executed but that does not mean that
the command file executed and the command in the file completed
successfully.

Regards,

Denis L. L'Huiller
973-360-7739
dlhuillier AT pershing DOT com
Enterprise Storage Forms ->
http://admpwb01/misc/misc/storage_forms_main.html

                      Mark Bertrand
                      <Mark.Bertrand@USU         To:      ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST
DOT EDU
                      NWIRED.COM>                cc:
                      Sent by: "ADSM:            Subject: Re: Daily Backup
Report
                      Dist Stor Manager"
                      <[email protected].

                      04/16/2002 10:34
                      AM
                      Please respond to
                      "ADSM: Dist Stor
                      Manager"

We also used "query event * * begindate=today-1 enddate=today ex=yes" until
I learned that this does not report on clients that were or were not backed
up successfully, this ONLY reports on if the script or schedule was
successful. To quote straight from the h q event page "Use this command to
check whether schedules were processed successfully."

I will not go into a rant about this, just learn from my mistake, query
event will NOT tell you if your backup was successful.