ADSM-L

Re: Daily Backup Report

2002-04-16 10:52:47
Subject: Re: Daily Backup Report
From: Burak Demircan <burak.demircan AT DAIMLERCHRYSLER DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 16:50:51 +0200
Does anybody have a bash or ksh script for it?
Regards,
Burak

        bill.boyer AT VERIZON DOT NET
        Sent by: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU

        16.04.2002 17:45
        Please respond to ADSM-L

                        To:        ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                        cc:

Be very carefull with the EX=YES. There is a status of an event of '(?)'
that doesn't show as an exception. This condition can occur when a backup
schedule starts for a node, and then due to either the client crashing or a
networking issue the connection is dropped and never re-established within
the DURATION of the event. The status is '(?)'. There is an APAR open to
have meaningful status's instead of the '(?)', but for now this doesn't show
as an EXCEPTION.

We got bit big-time at a client of our where they out-sourced the entire TSM
operation to us. They were having failures, but they were not showing on our
EX=YES report. They were not happy campers! I'm still having a hard time
sitting! :-)

We ended up writing some PERL code to parse the Q EV client events and
reporting on anything that isn't COMPLETED.

This behavior started somewhere in the 4.1.x patch levels. So, just be
careful relying on the EX=YES to give you everything that failed.

Bill Boyer
DSS, Inc.