ADSM-L

Re: Monthly Backups, ...again!

2002-04-16 09:18:26
Subject: Re: Monthly Backups, ...again!
From: Bill Mansfield <WMansfield AT SOLUTIONTECHNOLOGY DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 08:05:04 -0500
Several reasons:

1.  I already have the exact file versions I want to have in TSM, and have
no functional reason to create another set of tapes.  It is offensive to
the spirit of TSM to create an additional file copy, especially when I
have no capability to use them to locally restore the node.
2.  Tapes (and tape drive usage) are expensive.  I get one tape per node;
when you have 100GB tapes and 20GB nodes, this is a problem.
3.  There is no second copy.  If the data are that important, don't I want
media protection, especially if I'm keeping the data 7 years?  And how do
I recopy the data periodically, as required for long term data retention?
And how do I migrate to new media?
4.  In noncollocated environments, I will have to mount a number of tapes
to create the backup set at the end of the month, and I will have to do it
over and over for each node.
5.  Backupsets are very inconvenient to restore from.  You can either
restore the entire dataset, or use the commandline to try to pick out
exactly the file you are looking for.  If you make a mistake, it searches
the whole thing before it fails, and you start over.
6.  The backupset tapes are another thing to manage.  At one time they did
not expire properly; I don't know if that has been fixed or not.

Sorry about the rantish tone, but you did ask...

William Mansfield
Senior Consultant
Solution Technology, Inc

Burak Demircan <burak.demircan AT DAIMLERCHRYSLER DOT COM>
04/16/2002 07:58 AM