ADSM-L

Re: 3494 replacement (cont.)

2002-04-16 08:57:48
Subject: Re: 3494 replacement (cont.)
From: Bill Boyer <bill.boyer AT VERIZON DOT NET>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 08:58:05 -0400
I would make sure to rmdev -dl each tape drive and then a cfgmgr to
re-configure them. The library (LMCP) should come up OK when rebooting the
AIX system after the library is back online. Make sure that the library is
online and available. I ran into an issue over the weekend at a D/R exercise
where when I rebooted the S-80 server I had the library offline in manual
mode so I could put all the tapes in the slots. When I went to access the
drives, I got errors saying that the drive wasn't part of the library. DOing
an 'mtlib -l /dev/lmcp0 -D' to list all drives in the library gave me no
output. I had to refresh the LMCP and everything was OK.

Within TSM you could delete the drives with no problems and re-define them.
But you can't easily delete the library without having to change the device
classes  around since they reference the library. I was told that just doing
an UPDATE LIBRARY DEVICE=<same device> would cause TSM to re-initialize
itself with the library statistics. Also doing an UPDATE DRIVE command does
the same thing. SO, you don't have to delete and re-define, just do an
UPDATE DRIVE/LIBRARY.

This would probably be a good time to make sure your ibmatl and atape drives
are up-to-date.

The checkin...I would do STATUS=SCRATCH first. TSM won't check in tapes that
he thinks has data on them. So don't delete your VOLHIST file(s)! Follow
this up with a checkin STATUS=PRIVATE to get everything else.

Put all the tapes physically in the library and let the library manager
perform the inventory. I would do this before you bring up the TSM box. Then
start TSM and do your checkin's.

Bill Boyer
DSS, Inc.