ADSM-L

Re: Using Disk in place of tapes for copy pools

2002-04-12 10:05:52
Subject: Re: Using Disk in place of tapes for copy pools
From: John Underdown <johnunderdown AT STI.SYNOVUS DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 10:04:48 -0400
Mark,

Good point, what you may have heard being a problem was using Network Attached
Storage (NAS) for TSM volumes, in which case TSM considers sequential media.
i'm talking about using Direct Attached Storage (DAS). Since DAS is consider
random access by TSM there is no need to do reclamation on the disk volumes.
Expire Inventory reduces the size of the disk volumes automatically. ISCSI
would also be seen as random access by TSM since it's block I/O and not file
I/O like NAS.

The pros are disks arrays are much cheaper than tape libraries and more
reliable, everything runs faster, and much less maintenance.

There's no cons to using disk for your backup pool except one and it's a big
one, if you lose a 1TB array it's bear to restore from the copypool, especially
in our case of having a small tape library. That's why i recommended Pat to
keep his large tape library and just grow his disk storage. Our disk expansion
cases (IBM Exp300's) use raid 5 and have plenty of hot spares with redundant
everything and are plugged into two dedicated separate AC circuits.

We have a number of Policy Domains ranging from 14 to 30 days retention period.
i do use excludes heavily, especially apps that create large index files that
have to be recreated after a restore anyway.

If you have another questions please let me know.

john