ADSM-L

How do I know what tape/s my data is on?

2002-04-12 05:02:12
Subject: How do I know what tape/s my data is on?
From: Roy Lake <RLake AT TANDB.CO DOT UK>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 10:02:47 +0100
Ok guys,

Here is a puzzler for you.

Lets say that I have a primary tape pool, but I DONT have a secondary
pool. (IE data ONLY goes to tape once with NO second copy). We then send
those tapes offsite. (This saves us valuable space in the tape
library).

One month later, a customer asks for an archive to be retrieved from
those tapes.

How do I know what tapes to retrieve? - These archives would have built
up over a period of time, so there may be more than 10 tapes offsite and
I dont want them all!!.

Is there a way that I can find out which set of tapes my archived data
is on? - Bearing in mind that if reclamation is also run of this pool,
then the data may possibly be moved around on a regular basis.

Any help would be greatfully recieved.

Kind Regards,

Roy Lake
RS/6000 & TSM Systems Administration Team
Tibbett & Britten European I.T.
Judd House
Ripple Road
Barking
Essex IG11 0TU
0208 526 8853
rlake AT tandb.co DOT uk

This e-mail message has been scanned using Sophos Sweep http://www.sophos.com

-------  IMPORTANT INFORMATION ---------
This message is intended only for the use of the Person(s) ('the
This message is intended only for the use of the Person(s) ('the
intended recipient') to whom it was addressed. It may contain
information which is privileged & confidential within the meaning
of applicable law. Accordingly any dissemination, distribution,
copying, or other use of this message, or any of its contents,
by any person other than the intended recipient may constitute
a breach of civil or criminal law and is strictly prohibited.

If you are NOT the intended recipient please contact the sender
and dispose of this email as soon as possible. If in doubt please
contact European IT on 0870 607 6777 (+44 20 85 26 88 88).
This message has been sent via the Public Internet.