ADSM-L

Re: NetWare, Compression & Slow Backups

2002-04-11 22:23:59
Subject: Re: NetWare, Compression & Slow Backups
From: Bill Mansfield <WMansfield AT SOLUTIONTECHNOLOGY DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 21:10:31 -0500
If you can identify the files that naturally grow, in 4.2 you can exclude
them from compression, e.g.:
exclude.compression /.../*.zip

_____________________________
William Mansfield
Senior Consultant
Solution Technology, Inc

"Ochs, Duane" <Duane.Ochs AT QG DOT COM>
04/11/2002 08:18 AM

        To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
        cc:

 Something to keep in mind for compression. In areas with limited
bandwidth
the compression of files can speed up your backups considerably. The
drawback, which I have encountered and just have to deal with, is that
when
compression increases the size of the file it is not sent.
 That is good, but your client has just used the TIME and CPU to compress
it. This caught me off guard on a few servers, because the servers were
being used for zipped EDI traffic and the backup would run for 12 - 14
hours
every night. After reviewing the log file it would show that every file
was
compressed and grew and then was sent uncompressed.

 So you may have to evaluate it on a server by server basis. We eventually
turned compression off and the backups finish in 6 hours.

Duane Ochs
Systems Administration
Quad/Graphics Inc.
414.566.2375