ADSM-L

Windows 2000 Restore Domain Controller Question

2002-04-10 16:01:52
Subject: Windows 2000 Restore Domain Controller Question
From: Anthony L Weil <tweil AT UMICH DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 15:47:09 -0400
I am very new to TSM, so please excuse these simple questions.

I am testing a full restore of a Windows 2000 Domain Controller by
reinstalling the OS and then performing a full restore. I am following
the instructions in the IBM Redbook "Deploying the Tivoli Storage
Manager Client in a Windows 2000 Environment" for the TSM 4.1.2 client".

I am trying to follow the instructions in section 6.2.4, Restoring a Win
2000 domain controller (non-authoritative). We have our AD database,
logs and Sysvol on drive F, G and H. The problem is that the procedure
summary list does not match the actual procedure. In addition, the
actual procedure gives no information about restoring the System Object.
What is the proper proocedure for this?

There is a chart in section 6.2.4.2, Summary of domain controller
restore, that shows the procedure order as follows after installing and
patching the OS:

5- Restore files on system/boot partition (c drive)
6- Restore the entire System Object
7- Reboot
8- Restore data on other drives
9- Reboot
10- Check System

In section 6.2.4.6, Recovery Procedure, the following info is listed
that does not match the above and more importantly never mentions
restorig the system object:

10- Restore the boot/system partition - Do not reboot
11- Restore any other data onto other drives (D, E, etc.)
12- Reboot
13- Confirm the restore

Thanks,

Tony