ADSM-L

Re: "Volume being Migrated/Reclaimed" not working ?

2002-04-10 11:08:27
Subject: Re: "Volume being Migrated/Reclaimed" not working ?
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT MAIL.TJU DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 11:08:26 -0400
> anyone noticed of "Volume being Migrated/Reclaimed" field being blank after
> issuing command 'q stg <seq pool> f=d' (and reclamation is running) ?
>
> I noticed this when I wanted to find out which volume was being reclaimed
> when offsite reclamation was in progress.

There were some postings discussing this phenomenon some time ago. Offsite
volume reclamation does not reclaim one volume after another. It identifies
all the volumes eligible for reclamation, figures out which files are on
those volumes, figures out where the onsite copies of those files are, and
recopies the files in one pass over the relevant onsite volumes. The identity
of the offsite volume containing the file being copied will typically change
repeatedly within the lifetime of a single reclamation process. With onsite
volume reclamation there will be one current volume for the entire lifetime
of a process. Filling in the "Volume being Migrated/Reclaimed" field during
reclamation of offsite volumes would require a different mechanism (with
higher overhead) than the mechanism used during reclamation of onsite
volumes. IBM and Tivoli apparently decided that implementing the mechanism
needed for offsite volume reclamation would be more trouble than it was
worth.