ADSM-L

Re: TSM database maximum recommended size

2002-04-08 16:58:57
Subject: Re: TSM database maximum recommended size
From: Steve Roder <spr AT REXX.ACSU.BUFFALO DOT EDU>
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2002 16:59:13 -0400
> At 12:08 PM 4/3/2002 -0500, Scott McCambly wrote:
> >How many sites are running with databases this large or larger? On what
> >hardware?
>
> Our DB is now 116GB assigned (92% full).
> Hardware is RS6000/M80, 2GB RAM, SSA disks (db is mirrored by TSM)
> As others have said, "it depends".  If your requirement is to be able to
> restore a database quickly, then your max size will be smaller.

Besides DB backup/restore time, I also put a lot of stock in how long it
takes to run thru expiration to completion.  If you cannot do it within
your window, and on a daily basis, then your DB is tracking objects that
should be deleted, wasting both DB and tape space.

Steve Roder, University at Buffalo
HOD Service Coordinator
VM Systems Programmer
UNIX Systems Administrator (Solaris and AIX)
TSM/ADSM Administrator
(spr AT buffalo DOT edu | (716)645-3564 | http://ubvm.cc.buffalo.edu/~tkssteve)