ADSM-L

Re: Accounting Log

2002-04-06 20:37:05
Subject: Re: Accounting Log
From: Roger Deschner <rogerd AT UIC DOT EDU>
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2002 19:37:22 -0600
The file is in comma-delimited format, and can easily be digested by
spreadsheet programs such as Excell, or statistical report generating
packages such as SPSS or SAS. These programs can all aggregate the
accounting data, which might be multiple records per node per time
interval, into meaningful statistics. The record layout is described in
the TSM Server Administrators Guide.

We plan to use this data more for capacity planning, and problem
identification, than for chargeback.

However, I am a bit confused by your plan to use TSM accounting data for
disk space chargeback. That data isn't there. The data you have is for
the amount of backup and restore activity which occured during each
client node session. Disk files in the online storage pools owned by a
particular user might quickly become tape files due to the Migration
process. If you want to charge back based on total data stored in TSM by
each client, you will need to collect the output of QUERY OCCUPANCY;
there has been a thread about how to do exactly that on this list the
past couple days.

==== "Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing." ====