ADSM-L

Re: AIX system backup

2002-04-05 15:01:58
Subject: Re: AIX system backup
From: David Longo <David.Longo AT HEALTH-FIRST DOT ORG>
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2002 15:01:52 -0500
A quick Friday afternoon answer:

Yes, AIX is a client just like any other platform.  (You need to have an
AIX mksysb tape made though to do restore from totally crashed system).
You say "make backups of regular production jobs", exactly what
do you mean by that?  If you need to make backups of transaction
files or other special stuff, you have to look at it more closely.
Is just once a day enough or do certain files need backup at say
4 hour intervals.

I would say first approcach it not necessarily from TSM point, but
from the point of what do you need to backup and how often.  And how
long do you need to keep the backups?  Then see how to use
TSM to acomplish this.  You might then have to do some tweaking.

Is this your first TSM system or have you been backing up some clients
with TSM for a while?

If you have Oracle on AIX, the regular Back/Archive client will not
backup Hot Oracle DB's.  You need TDP for Oracle to interface between
TSM and Oracle's RMAN.  (Or get SQL Backtrack from BMC is
another option.)

David B. Longo
System Administrator
Health First, Inc.
3300 Fiske Blvd.
Rockledge, FL 32955-4305
PH      321.434.5536
Pager  321.634.8230
Fax:    321.434.5525
david.longo AT health-first DOT org

>>> jbaechi AT CSCC DOT EDU 04/05/02 02:29PM >>>
Hi, Everyone. Can anyone help me how to configue the AIX system in order
to make backups of regular daily production jobs runnign on it? and how
to prepare vault movement? Should I treat the AIX system as a clien
node?  I just got off the classes and don't have any practical idea.
Please help!

We are migrating from mainframe; VSE to AIX with Oracle. New system
will be in soon and I need to start from scratch!! HELP!!  Thansk much.

Gus

"MMS <health-first.org>" made the following
 annotations on 04/05/02 15:15:41
---
This message is for the named person's use only.  It may contain This message
is for the named person's use only.  It may contain confidential, proprietary,
or legally privileged information.  No confidentiality or privilege is waived
or lost by any mistransmission.  If you receive this message in error, please
immediately delete it and all copies of it from your system, destroy any hard
copies of it, and notify the sender.  You must not, directly or indirectly,
use, disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message if you are
not the intended recipient.  Health First reserves the right to monitor all
e-mail communications through its networks.  Any views or opinions expressed in
this message are solely those of the individual sender, except (1) where the
message states such views or opinions are on behalf of a particular entity;
and (2) the sender is authorized by the entity to give such views or opinions.