ADSM-L

Re: disaster recovery ?

2002-04-05 10:23:22
Subject: Re: disaster recovery ?
From: Aaron Widmeyer <aaron.guy.widmeyer AT CENSUS DOT GOV>
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2002 10:23:12 -0500
I understand that the data in on tape on the UNIX TSM server in question
but why are you trying to backup data on tape to another server when there
may be better/easier ways of getting the data off site and safe in case of
a disaster?  Why not create a copy pool and point it to a small section of
your silo, use that to collocate and copy your critical data to and then
export those tapes and take them off site.  Then in the case of a disaster
you could restore the TSM server from the "mksysb you make every month of
your system disk" (right), get your TSM server up and running and import
the tapes.  Just a suggestion.  Or maybe you  have a very legitimate reason
for going this route that I am unaware of, please inform me.

Thank you for your patience with my babbling.

                    "Hunley, Ike"
                    <Ike.Hunley@BC       To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                    BSFL.COM>            cc:
                    Sent by:             Subject:     Re: disaster recovery ?
                    "ADSM: Dist
                    Stor Manager"
                    <ADSM-L AT VM DOT MAR
                    IST.EDU>

                    04/05/2002
                    10:01 AM
                    Please respond
                    to "ADSM: Dist
                    Stor Manager"

There are business critical servers backing up to the TSM on this UNIX
server.  I understood that the backup data is on tape.  It is that data we
need to recover in a disaster situation.