ADSM-L

Re: don?t aynone know anything about Encryption in TSM.

2002-04-05 09:46:37
Subject: Re: don?t aynone know anything about Encryption in TSM.
From: Justin Derrick <jderrick AT CANADA DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2002 09:46:30 -0500
>when i said that they have extremely valible data i am meaning that this
>genetic reasearch
>company has the medical records, detatild information on peoples relatives
>back to the middle ages
>and the DNA codes of every person in this country.

Um, that's spooky.  I suspect it's an exaggeration since DNA contains so
much information - the human genome contains 3 billion base pairs - that's
3G per person, likely uncompressable due to it's pseudorandom nature.  CIA
World Fact Book has Iceland's population pegged at about 278,000 (July
2001).  That's 834GB of data.  Entirely possible, but still spooky.

>You guys can hopfully see now how ctritical this database is and how
>protection of it is essential.

Personally, I can't imagine a use for it, but I'm not a biotech geek.  =)

>This is what i have understand of you guys so far.
>Encryption in TSM is always done on the TSM B/A-Client there do you put a
>56bit encryption key on the data witch cannot be
>retreved without the key. So they need to come up with some sort of disaster
>Recovery plan, regarding the key retrival if the
>system admins are unavalible.

Availability of administrators is not the issue.  You need to be able to
recover any of the keys ever used for encrypting a backed up file.

>If what you are saying Kyle Sparger is true then this 56bit key is probably
>not good enugh for them. I am no expert in Security and don?t know mutch
>about hacking. I don?t want to sound to paranoyed but then again who knows.

No, 56 bits is simply not enough.  You need a more robust solution that
integrates stronger encryption with the ability to encrypt the key used to
encrypt the file, so that the key can be restored, if necessary, by the
administrator.  (Public key cryptography would be great for this - encrypt
the key used to encrypt the data, and only the administrator's key can
decrypt it.  Keeping the administrator's key safe, now there's a challenge.)

>This database is the brain, the hart and the lung of the company if it get
>exposed, every employ there can start lookin for new job the same day.

Then you should recommend spending a considerable amount of money on
protecting it with more modern tools.

Did I mention the fact that I'm a consultant, and would love to see
Iceland?  *grin*  @;^)

-JD.