ADSM-L

Re: Monthly Backups, ...again!

2002-04-04 17:58:16
Subject: Re: Monthly Backups, ...again!
From: Mark Bertrand <Mark.Bertrand AT USUNWIRED DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2002 11:14:56 -0600
Oh yes, I have had to defend myself along with many other *TSM'ers I
believe. I think Thomas Denier said it best "I would suggest that your
customer either give up on TSM or give up on preserving the current tape
handling practices."

I have forwarded this message and many others (there is plenty) from the
adsm.org archives to my management. That along with a few backupsets, the
pressure has stopped for now. :)

Date:      Jan 16, 11:36
 From:      Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT MAIL.TJU DOT EDU>

>    I am planning a TSM implementation ata customer who has another backup
> solution already in place. They want to slowly make TSM take over all
backups,
> but they don4t want to suddenly change the work done by the production
people,
> who take care of all tape movements. The present backup solution works
using
> different retention times for the backed up files: the daily backups are
kept
> for 20 days; the saturday ("weekly") files are kept for 40 days; the
monthly
> backup is kept for 100 days, and there is a "year" backup that is kept for
5
> years.
>
>    The question is: I could make this using backups for the daily
processes,
> and to use archives for the other ones. But there are TDP4s involved
> (SQLServer, Exchange and DB2) who always do backups, and if I use
something
> like different management classes, I would get a lot of rebinding
problems.

>    Would backupsets be the answer? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Lots of TSM sites attempt to emulate the kind of selective tape retention
described above. However, the goal is usually to emulate the old system's
hit or miss ability to retrieve very old files, not to emulate the old
system's tape handling. Historically, sites trying to emulate selective
tape retention have done TSM incremental backups every day and run
occasional
TSM archives as substitutes for tapes kept for longer than usual periods.
More recently, some sites have experimented with TSM incremental backups
every day and occasional generation of backup sets. If you use TSM
incremental backups at all there are going to be changes in tape handling.