ADSM-L

Re: Monthly Backups, ...again!

2002-04-04 12:07:53
Subject: Re: Monthly Backups, ...again!
From: "Kauffman, Tom" <KauffmanT AT NIBCO DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2002 12:03:07 -0500
Not a problem.

I look at the space required for the database entries and the amount of
media required (and it *will* be copied for off-site, or they really don't
need it and won't get it!) and let them know what the cost will be. Then we
set up an archive script, with a management class that has a 395 day
retention, and archive the data. I refuse to jump through hoops to get
retain only/retain extra/ to keep data for some number of days or years --
if the retention requirements come to me in days/weeks/months/years, it's an
archive. And I support retention for 40 days, 110 days, 395 days, and 'x'
years (2 through 7) at x * 366 + 30 days. I also let the requestor know that
the process for extending the retention longer than the original archive is
to take an outage, archive the current data (or rename the file systems),
retrieve the data in question, and re-archive with the proper management
class.

Tom Kauffman
NIBCO, Inc