ADSM-L

Re: AFS backup

2002-04-03 14:51:06
Subject: Re: AFS backup
From: "Brian T. Huntley" <bth AT CLARKSON DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2002 14:51:04 -0500
Howdy, Eric...

It depends on which AFS backup client you are using.  If you use the file
backup client, TSM controls the retention of the files just as any other
filesystem.  If you use the volume backups, however, you will need to do
the controls through AFS.

We backed-up our 500GB AFS cell by volume for quite awhile due to the
performance benefits, but found it required an absolutely silly amount of
tape storage to retain backups as far back as we had to go.  So, we made
the shift to file backups, and, although it is MUCH slower than the volume
dumps, we've accepted that limitation to make our tape requirements a bit
more reasonable.  I'd be happy to discuss further, if you are interested.

Oh, also, you really need the AFS manuals to be able to get the full story
on AFS backups through TSM.  There are some sections that directly address
connecting AFS and TSM.

HTH,
-b
| Brian T. Huntley                                Systems Administrator |
| Campus Information Services, Clarkson University                      |
| Ph/FAX: 315.268-6723/6570                                             |
| bth AT clarkson DOT edu                                 www.clarkson.edu/cis |
 UNIX *is* user friendly. It's just selective about who its friends are.