ADSM-L

Re: Question about 3590 tape drives

2002-04-03 09:08:41
Subject: Re: Question about 3590 tape drives
From: Christo Heuer <christoh AT ABSA.CO DOT ZA>
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2002 16:11:31 +0200
Hi Gerhard,

stop/start processing of the tape drive - the disk pool does not
stream the data fast enough to cause a continues flow of data - hence
when there has been a stop in the flow of data there needs to be some
kind of re-positioning - to continue writing where the last bit of
data was written.
Normal behavior.

Cheers
Christo
Hello,
Hello,
I observed some strange behaviour of a 3590-E1A tape drive. During a
migrate operation from a disk pool to a sequential pool I watched the
operator panel. There I could see that the device after a write operation
did a locate followed by a read and then resumed writing. I observed this
behaviour several times. Is there an explanation for this?
I run TSM 4.1.2 on AIX 4.3.3
Best regards
Gerhard
----
Gerhard Rentschler                   email:
Gerhard Rentschler                   email:
g.rentschler AT rus.uni-stuttgart DOT de
Manager Central Servers & Services
Regional Computing Center   tel: ++49/711/6855806
University of Stuttgart                fax: ++49/711/682357
Allmandring 30a
D 70550 Stuttgart
Germany
"The information contained in this communication is confidential and
may be legally privileged.  It is intended solely for the use of the
individual or entity to whom it is addressed and others authorised to
receive it.  If you are not the intended recipient you are hereby
notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or taking action
in reliance of the contents of this information is strictly prohibited
and may be unlawful.  Absa is neither liable for the proper, complete
transmission of the information contained in this communication, any
delay in its receipt or that the mail is virus-free."