ADSM-L

Re: Macintosh files on an NT server/client

2002-04-03 07:56:06
Subject: Re: Macintosh files on an NT server/client
From: William Rosette <Bill_Rosette AT PAPAJOHNS DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2002 07:54:57 -0500
I currently have our printing services Macintosh desktops going to an NT
server (client in TSM).  When my AIX TSM server trys to back up the NT box
it runs fine till it gets to the Macintosh files and then crawls.  I have
97% I/O wait.  It is not beating the client's memory or processor, it just
takes its sweet ol time converting.  I FTP'ed 2 files (oh, by the way it is
a straight GB fiber from NT client to AIX server) 1 100 MB NT file took 4
seconds to FTP and the other 200 MB Macintosh File took 4 minutes.  When
talking to the Network guru and Support line, the Network guru asked if I
could back up RAW and skip the NT conversion.  Support said if I could make
like an NFS mount on the NT box, then the AIX TSM server could back up RAW.
The Network guru said he has some software that may make this possible.  My
question is, will this work and the main thing is will it restore?  Thank
you to all you TSMers, I thouroughly enjoy y'all's strings of dialogue.
Thanx again.