ADSM-L

Re: Client Message - size estimate exceeded

2002-04-02 07:32:06
Subject: Re: Client Message - size estimate exceeded
From: Farren Minns <fminns AT WILEY.CO DOT UK>
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2002 13:32:03 +0100
Thanks to all who replied to this message

Very much appreciated

Farren :)

"Stumpf, Joachim" <joachim.stumpf AT DATEV DOT DE>@VM.MARIST.EDU> on 02/04/2002
13:18:51

Sent by:    "ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU>

To:    ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc:

Hi Farren,

I changed compressalways to no.

With compressalways yes it happens like this:
The client sends the estimated filesize to the server. But the file grows
up during compression and is send greater than estimated. The backuppool is
99% full and the server cant store the file in the backuppool and skips the
file WITHOUT any retries.

IBM also told us to enhance the backuppool size or set up a second
migration task for the backuppool.

--
regards / Mit freundlichen Gruessen
regards / Mit freundlichen Gruessen

Farren Minns <fminns AT WILEY.CO DOT UK> (Dienstag,  2. April 2002, 13:24:09,
MEST):

> [...]
>    time, but later to this msg other objects were backed up as expected
>    although those were larger in size. For those file there is only
>    logged: ANS1114I Waiting for mount of offline media.
> E: The maxsizethreshold is 250 MB.
>    The failing object was just 28 MB in size, while the next object was
>    181 MB in size and it was successfully bu'ed (after mounting a tape).
>    The backup-pool is 39 GB in size and migr. threshold was set to 60/40
>    and one migration process could run at a time. (Values are currently
>    changed to 40/20 and 2 migr. proc. - since that the pbl. did not
>    reoccure.)
>    There are 10 nodes scheduled for backup into this pool. All together
>    those are backing up around 107 GB per night.
> A: Suggested to split the schedule or to increase the size of the
>    backup-pool or to inrease the amount of mountpoints.
>    Customer should avoid the situation that the stgpool will reach a
>    utilization of above 99 pct.
>    ..
>    Found msg ANR0534W s most commonly caused by specifying COMPRESS=YES
>    and COMPRESSALWAYS=YES in the client dsm.opt file.
>    Checked customers optionfiles => both are set to YES.
>    Told customer:
>    By asking the TSM client to always compress a file, file that have
>    already been compressed can result in the size of the file increasing
>    and the backup of the file failing with the messages observed by the
>    customer.
> N: Customer will set COMPRESSALWAYS to NO and req. FUP for tomorrow.
>
> -ORTENREITER, M.    MVS-5698TSMVS  -L25A/CFBTSM-P3S3-02/03/19-05:59--CC
>  S5> SERVICE GIVEN= 99  SG/99/
> The above action solved the pbl, but Mr. Stumpf still comlained that the
> client should have to retry the backup of that file.
> Found in the msg-guide for ANS1311E System action:
> 'TSM ended the current operation.'
> Mr. Stumpf agreed WaD.
>
> regards / mit freundlichen Gruessen
> Joachim Stumpf
> Datev eG
> Nuremberg - Germany
>

> Farren Minns <fminns AT WILEY.CO DOT UK> (Dienstag,  2. April 2002, 11:15:51,
> MEST):
>
> > Hi TSMers
> >
> > TSM server 3.7.3.8 running on Solaris 2.7 machine. Getting the
following
> > message for one of our NT client nodes.
> >

> > 04/01/02 22:14:20       ANR0534W Transaction failed for session 43012
for
> node
> >                               PUBEARLY (WinNT) - size estimate exceeded
> and server is
> >                               unable to obtain additional space in
> storage pool BACKUPPOOL.
> >

> > I have looked at the help for the message and from what I can see there
> are a number of possible reasons. But I have never seen it
> > before for any client and was wondering is anyone out there had had
> dealings with this and what remedies they used to solve it. The
> > backup eventually completes OK with just one failed file.
Unfortunately,