ADSM-L

Re: Tapes Blank Under Last Use

2015-10-04 17:10:43
Subject: Re: Tapes Blank Under Last Use
From: Joel Fuhrman [mailto:joelf AT CAC.WASHINGTON DOT EDU]
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
In our case, these occur when there is a problem mounting a database backup
tape.  The TSM server request the mount and marks the volume private.  When
the mount fails, TSM neither enters it as a dbbackup in the volhistory nor
does it return it to the scratch pool.  I learned this when a faulty drive
caused all scratch tapes to become private.  When this happens, I just check
the tape out and then check it back in as scratch.  TSM will not check it in
unless its empty.